News

Anambra govt summons petrol marketers over N900m debt claims

Anambra State Government has invited the leadership of Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) for a meeting over the claim of over N900 million debt to contractors who supplied diesel. The Anambra State Commissioner for Local Government, Chieftaincy and Community Affairs, TonyCollins Nwabunwanne, made the summon while reacting to the association’s letter of appeal on Thursday, September 14, 2023. …

Read More »

PDP, Sokoto govt trade words over alleged wasteful spending

The Sokoto State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has accused the state governor, Ahmed Aliyu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) of reckless spending. The state government, however, described the party’s statement as shameless propaganda. The PDP, in a statement made available to newsmen in the state, by its Publicity Secretary, Hassan Sayinnawal, on Saturday, alleged that the …

Read More »

Nigerian troops eliminate 151 terrorists, recover sophisticated weapons in two weeks —DHQ

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says Nigerian Army troops successfully eliminated 151 terrorists, arrested over 456 other criminal elements and recovered caches of sophisticated weapons in various operations across the country in the last two weeks. This was disclosed by the Director, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Edward Buba, at a press briefing on Thursday in Abuja while giving updates on military …

Read More »

Nigerian govt spent N135.2bn to subsidise electricity in three months – NERC

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) said on Wednesday the Federal Government paid N135.23 billion to subsidise electricity consumption in the second quarter of this year. The commission disclosed this in its Q2 2023 report posted on its website in Abuja. NERC said the federal government spent N135.2 billion to plug the revenue shortfall in the power sector during the …

Read More »

Stop smear campaign against Ugwuanyi, HURIWA cautions detractors 

Ugwuanyi    The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) has lamented what it described as a smear campaign against immediate past Enugu state governor, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi.  Addressing the media Wednesday in Abuja, the national coordinator of HURIWA, Comrade Emmanuel Onwubiko, urged Nigerians to exercise discernment and critical thinking when faced with sensational and unverified claims against public figures.  He …

Read More »

Osimhen, Messi, Haaland, others make FIFA best men’s player award shortlist – Blueprint Newspapers Limited

Nigeria’s Victor Osimhen, Lionel Messi, Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappe are among the nominees for the 2023 FIFA Best Men’s Player award, with Declan Rice also on the list. Seven-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi is the current holder of the most prestigious individual award handed out by world football’s governing body. He is back to defend that crown after helping …

Read More »

Nigeria Agenda 2050 is clear on our country’s destination in 30 years’ time, says Agba – The Conclave Online Newspaper

● Commends President Tinubu for setting up Nigeria’s tax system reforms committee Immediate past Minister of State for Budget and National Planning, Prince Clem Ikanade Agba, said that Nigeria Agenda 2050- a perspective plan designed to transform the country into an “upper-middle income country” with a significant improvement in per capita income-had already identified and clarified where to be in …

Read More »

At last, Senator Abbo begs Akpabio 

  Senator Elisha Abbo who was sacked by the Appeal Court on Monday as senator representing Adamawa North has apologised to the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, over his earlier claim that Senator Akpabio influenced the judgment against him at the Court of Appeal. Speaking on Arise News Television on Tuesday night, Senator Abbo also denied any plot by …

Read More »

Court permits SERAP to continue case on probe of missing $15bn oil revenue, N200bn for refineries repair

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has secured the permission of the Federal High Court to continue its lawsuit seeking to compel President Bola Tinubu to probe alleged missing US$15 billion oil revenues and N200 billion budgeted to repair the refineries between 2020 and 2021. SERAP made this known on Friday night via its verified X page. It said: …

Read More »