Names MD NRC tested the journalist Ladi Bala Ambassador for …

Opeifa [middle] And Comrade Grace Ike, Prime Minister Nuj FCT [right]

● Excuses himself with her, media community

The CEO of the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), Dr. Kayode Opeifa, he publicly apologized to the Nigerian media for having verbally attacked the Nigerian television authority companion (NTA) Ladi Bala while he was covering the consequences of a derailment of the Abuja-Kaduna train.

Speaking in a press conference held at the secretariat of the FCT Council of the Union of Journalists of Nigeria (Nuj) in Abuja, Sunday, Dr. Opeifa explained that his observations, made under intense pressure during the management of the crisis, were misunderstood as hostility towards the press.

According to reports, his partner Bala, the immediate past president of the Nigerian Association of Women Journalists (Nawoj), was subjected to verbal attacks not caused by Dr. Opeifa while carrying out his official duties on the derailment scene.

The Board Nuj FCT ​​condemned the conduct of Dr. Opeifa, describing it as dehumanizing and a serious violation of the freedom of the press.

By giving the apologies, Dr. Opeifa said: β€œI wish to apologize sincerely for the deplorable observations that I made, that they were directed to an expert journalist and are reflected in both Nuj Fct and Nawoj.

“By acting under pressure and in the warmth of the moment, while I was trying to guarantee safety, I pronounced some rude words for which I take full responsibility for me.”

In recognition of the resilience, professionalism and dedication of his partner Bala, despite the unfortunate accident, Dr. Opeifa conferred the honorary title of “Ambassador for the Defense of the Media”.

He explained that the derailment involved eight coaches and a locomotive, placing enormous requests from his team to coordinate rescue efforts, inform the presidency and the public and activate the emergency procedures simultaneously.

On the day of the accident, the recently reviewed emergency protocol was immediately implemented, involving key agencies such as the Nigerian news agency (NAN), the national emergency management agency (NEMA), the Federal Health Ministry, the government of the State of Kaduna, the FCT administration and the Nigerian armed forces.

Dr. Opeifa said that at the time of derailment there were 618 passengers on board. Seven coaches and the locomotive were damaged, with about 20 passengers who suffered injuries, seven critically.

The NRC quickly provided replacement coaches to evacuate blocked passengers and started contacting the track using passenger posters within 45 minutes from the accident.

“Some passengers had already traveled in nearby cities, but we managed to track them down by phone,” he added. “I personally visited at least seven wounded passengers, including one who had made his way to Zaria.”

He also praised the rapid response from the Nigerian army, the Air Force, the police, local vigilants and other emergency staff, whose actions have saved their lives.

The ambulances and medical teams were lined up by Nema, by the Federal Health Ministry, the government of the State of Kaduna and the FCT administration. The medical staff on trains gave priority to life -saving efforts.

Dr. Opeifa offered directed excuses to his partner Bala, recognizing that he had endured the weight of his previous comments:

“For her, I offer my deceased apologies. Improve the same in NTA, Nawoj and the wider community of journalism.”

President Tinubu cries Salomon Arase

He has described himself as a longtime supporter of human rights and unionism, remembering his history with the campaign for democracy, the leadership in the union of universities of academic staff (Asuu) in Lasu and the involvement in the struggle of 12 June.

“I have already fought together with journalists; I’m not their enemy,” he underlined.

Dr. Opeifa has highlighted the inclusive policies of the NRC genre, noting that 50% of the company’s management directors are women promoted in this regard.

He reaffirmed his commitment to collaborate with the media to advance railway development and provide accurate and timely information.

As for recovery efforts, he revealed that by Saturday two coaches and a locomotive were eliminated from the accident site, with two other coaches who should be removed by the end of Sunday.

The engineers had put about 50 meters of new track to facilitate this.

He praised the resilience of the rolling of NRC, noting that the corporate class passengers were not aware of the accident until they land, demonstrating the quality of the equipment and the absorption capacity of the impact.

On the relationships with the media during emergencies, Dr. Opeifa praised journalists for their coverage, but urged the precision to prevent panic.

It also detailed the results of NRC, including the reactivation of the Jos -bukuru line, the expansion of the Lagos – Ibadan corridor, and plan to connect the main ports such as Tin Can, Warri and One to the railway network, describing them as unprecedented in over 60 years of Nigerian railway history.

Dr. Opeifa has announced the establishment of customer service and relationships to involve passengers and media, noting that the unit had contacted over 400 passengers affected by the Kaduna accident.

He concluded that, despite the accident, the accident has strengthened the determination of the NRC to modernize the railway services and expand railway access in collaboration with state governments and the renewed infrastructure fund.

“The media remain our partners, not opponents. We will deepen the collaboration with Nuj, Nawoj and civil society to promote transparency and public trust,” he said.

The Prime Minister Nuj Fct Grace Ike, representing journalists, said that the Council will continue to defend the freedom of the press and resist intimidation. He welcomed public apologies as a step towards reconstruction of trust, underlining that Nuj FCT ​​has no zero tolerance for intimidation, harassment for journalists.

“We will persist in the struggle for the rights of our members and the freedom of speech, which is a right, not a privilege. I am pleased that the MD has joined us in opposite harassment and intimidation of journalists and will defend this cause,” he said.

“With his partner Ladi Bala as an NRC ambassador for the defense of the media, we foresee an increase in the activities of the media and the campaigns that promote the well -being and development of Nigerian journalists, especially in the FCT.”

Senior Special Assistant of the president for the media and special functions, Tunde Rahman, who accompanied Dr. Opeifa, praised the humility of the head of the NRC in offering the apologies and promised an ongoing collaboration between the presidency, the NRC and the media.

Stay forward with the latest updates!
Join the Conclaveng on WhatsApp and Telegram for notices of news in real time, rupture stories and exclusive content delivered directly to the phone. Don’t miss a title: Sign up now!

Join our WhatsApp channel

Join our Telegram channel

Check Also

284,000 people missing globally, Nigeria represents 24,000 – ICRC

… half of the cases of Nigeria involve children … Borno Govt engaged support for …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *