The PRP reacts to the court decision that overturned the INEC guidelines

The People’s Redemption Party (PRP) has reacted to the Federal High Court’s ruling on Thursday regarding the powers of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

An Abuja court has ruled that INEC has no legal authority to shorten the time period for party primaries and candidate nominations prescribed by the Elections Law.

Responding to this, the PRP in a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Muhammad Bello Ishaq, said it was studying the decision, although they stated that “there will be challenges in the future”.

Ishaq also said INEC may choose to appeal the decision, but hoped “that patriots and influential stakeholders will intervene to restrain such actions.

READ ALSO: DHQ links kidnapping at Oyo school to fleeing terrorists forced to flee due to military operations

This decision, the party said, “encourages the growth and development of our democratic culture by returning important responsibilities to political parties, which had been taken over by INEC. This expands the scope of decision-making within the party and eliminates unhealthy arrangements in our activities”.

The report continued, that “the ruling party, APC, will likely be the one to gain the most from this decision, given their current state of desperation in addressing various grievances arising from their efforts to handpick candidates.

“Other parties will also be eager to explore how this decision can help them expand their membership and improve the quality of their flag bearers.”

The PRP also used this opportunity “to invite goodwill and patriotic Nigerians into our party to save Nigeria and the Nigerian people from the clutches of bad governance”.

Check Also

APC Senatorial Primaries: Ekpere Demands to Be Declared Winner

An aspirant for Cross River Central Senatorial District, Barr. Mary Ekpere, has demanded to be …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *