Gunmen kill 3 worshippers, kidnap 15 people during church event in Kwara

A church event on Saturday evening at Ori-Oke Ajaiye on the outskirts of Ikiran village in Ekiti Local Government Area of ​​Kwara State turned chaotic after gunmen stormed the program and killed three worshipers and kidnapped about 15 others.

It is estimated that the attack occurred at around 22.30, causing chaos in the surrounding community.

Sources in the area previously revealed that armed terrorists stormed the community in large numbers, attacking worshipers and residents before they fled through nearby forest paths.

A local resident who spoke anonymously said that many villagers spent the night searching for missing relatives and loved ones after the attackers fled the area.

He said, “People ran in different directions because of the sound of gunfire. Some families couldn’t even find their relatives until this morning.”

READ ALSO: NDC does not recognize Enugu chairman, John Paul Anih, who was elected three weeks ago

Confirming the development on Sunday, SP Adetoun state police command spokesperson Ejire Adeyemi strongly condemned the horrific attacks, killings and kidnapping of innocent worshipers by armed bandits.

According to the spokesperson, “The incident was reported on May 24, 2026, by one Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaiye Ati Igbala, Ekerin Village, Ekiti LGA Kwara State, who stated that while on night watch with members of his congregation at Ori-Oke Ijaye via Ekerin village, on May 23, 2026, at around 2030, armed thugs stormed the prayer place, shooting sporadically, killing three people and kidnapping fifteen others to unknown destinations.

“Upon receiving reports of distress, Divisional Police Officers, Ekiti Division, immediately deployed officers to the scene.” the statement said.

The state Commissioner of Police, Ojo Adekimi, has directed a comprehensive tactical and intelligence-based operation involving the Police Drone Team, PMF personnel, Intelligence Unit and other operational assets for a coordinated rescue mission.”

The Commissioner in his statement described the attack as a barbaric, callous and unacceptable act, assuring the families of the deceased, injured and abductees that the command is fully committed to ensuring the rescue of all victims and the arrest of the perpetrators behind the heinous act.

The command also assured residents of Ekiti LGA and the entire state that vigorous efforts are underway, including bush combing, intelligence gathering and coordinated security operations to track down the attackers and bring them to justice.

They further urged the public to remain calm, alert and supportive by providing credible and timely information that can assist ongoing operations.

Check Also

Actress Eucharia Anunobi urges her partner to take responsibility for infidelity

Veteran Nollywood actress and evangelist Eucharia Anunobi has sparked conversations on social media after sharing …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *