The Defense Headquarters (DHQ) has rejected claims of terrorist bases in the South West.
Director of Defense Media Operations Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, made the clarification in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.
He assured Nigerians that the ongoing operations were aimed at rescuing kidnap victims and neutralizing criminal elements.
Onoja said the Chief of Defense Staff (CDS), General Olufemi Oluyede, expressed his condolences to the government and people of Oyo State as well as the families of victims affected by the recent attacks on some schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.
He described the abduction of innocent children and staff as despicable.
READ ALSO:
He assured that the Armed Forces are mobilizing all necessary resources to ensure their safe and unconditional rescue.
“All forces of the Armed Forces are being mobilized to ensure the safe return of all abductees,” he said.
Onoja urged Nigerians to remain calm, united and continue to support security agencies with credible information.
He said the military had previously carried out thorough clearance operations in the Old Oyo National Park, to neutralize criminal elements operating in the area.
According to him, current intelligence does not support claims of an established or structured terrorist base in the Southwest region.
“The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the existence of any entrenched rebel structures in the region.
“The Armed Forces are wary of narratives that could cause unnecessary panic or strengthen criminal elements,” he said.
A defense spokesperson revealed that troops had made contact with the perpetrators and were continuing to carry out pursuit operations in the forest corridor.
He added that joint operations involving other security agencies and local residents were underway to eliminate criminal elements and restore normalcy.
JamzNG Latest News, Gist, Entertainment in Nigeria