The Nigerian government postpones the closure of the Eko Bridge

The Federal Government has postponed plans to close the Eco Bridge in Lagos State.

This was revealed by Public Works Minister Dave Umahi when inspecting the bridge, Tuesday.

He said: “We directed that this bridge be closed, that was about two weeks ago,…but our concerned President Bola Tinubu is very concerned about the closure of the Eko Bridge.

“He has asked me to come back here and reconsider the decision so that we do not cause too much hardship to Nigerians.”

The minister said his team reassessed the strength of the bridge on Monday and confirmed that the closure could be postponed for now.

“We have carried out a technical evaluation according to the president’s direction.

“Putting safety above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe, but we will not get to a situation where Nigerians on this bridge will not be safe.

“We have agreed on three procedures,” Umahi added.

READ ALSO:

According to him, the first procedure is not to close the bridge now, but to monitor the progress of the cracks or not.

He said that currently the crack is not developing either arithmetically or geometrically.

“So far there has been no progress. We are comfortable, but cracks can occur at any time. I will come back here to review it,” he said.

The minister also said there would be repair work on the bridge.

Check Also

BREAKING: Arsenal win first Premier League title in 22 years after Man City draw

Arsenal emerged as 2025-26 Premier League champions after second-placed Manchester City failed to beat Bournemouth …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *