Alleged coup: Court hears plot to recruit villa workers and cut off power supply

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Wednesday heard fresh allegations of a plot to infiltrate the presidential villa and cut off electricity supplies as part of an attempt to topple the administration of President Bola Tinubu.

The revelations emerged during the ongoing trial of six defendants accused of conspiring to stage a coup, as the prosecution provided a video recording of the interrogation of one of the suspects, Zekeri Umoru.

In the footage, shown in court, Umoru told investigators that he had been asked to participate in a plan allegedly led by a serving military officer, identified as Colonel Mohammed A. Ma’aji, believed to be the central figure in the plot.

Umoru, who said he worked with construction giant Julius Berger on the Presidential Villa clinic project, said he was contacted through another defendant, Inspector Ahmed Ibrahim, and asked to recruit insiders within the seat of power.

According to him, the plan involved the enlistment of 18-19 people, including military personnel, agents of the Department of State Services and workers affiliated with Julius Berger who operated within the Villa.

He further told investigators that part of the discussions included cutting off the electricity supply to the Presidential Villa to facilitate the execution of the alleged operation.

Umoru, however, said he cautioned against the idea, stressing that any power failure at the highly secured facility would immediately trigger security alarms and likely lead to the arrest and interrogation of all personnel on duty.

The defendant further stated that the alleged mastermind had insisted on gaining access to the Villa and was ready to deploy forces if internal cooperation failed.

The court admitted the video into evidence as the prosecution continued to build its case against the defendants.

The justice dealing with the matter subsequently adjourned the proceedings to a later date for the continuation of the trial.

Pelican Valley

Want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need advertising for a product, service or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com

We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Please donate any amount HERE

Check Also

Latest News: Fubara withdraws from 2026 APC governorship primaries

Governor Siminalayi Fubara has withdrawn from the governorship primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC), …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *