Trump announces deal to end war with Iran – THIS UPDATE

By Ayo Kehinde

US President Donald Trump on Saturday announced that a proposed deal to end the escalating conflict involving Iran had been “extensively negotiated”, raising new hopes of a diplomatic breakthrough after weeks of rising tensions across the Middle East.

Trump revealed this in a statement released from the Oval Office after a series of consultations with key Middle East leaders and international stakeholders involved in the ongoing mediation efforts.

According to the US President, talks were held with the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, President of the United Arab Emirates, Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Chief of the Army of Pakistan, Field Marshal Asim Munir, President of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, President of Egypt, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, King of Jordan, Abdullah II and King of Bahrain, Hamad bin Isa Al. Khalifa.

Trump said the talks focused on what he described as a “PEACE-related Memorandum of Understanding” involving the United States, Iran and other regional players.

“An agreement has been extensively negotiated, subject to finalization, between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran and various other countries,” Trump said.

The US president added that he had spoken separately with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, stressing that discussions with the Israeli leader also “went very well”.

Trump further revealed that the final details of the proposed deal are still under discussion and will be announced shortly, adding that the Strait of Hormuz will be reopened as part of the deal.

The development comes amid growing international efforts to prevent a wider regional conflict after weeks of military escalation, economic pressure and threats of new attacks involving Iran and its regional allies.

International media reports have indicated that negotiators from both countries have made significant progress towards a ceasefire framework that should pave the way for broader negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program and regional security concerns.

Sources close to the talks said the draft framework agreement was approved last Saturday by the speaker of the Iranian parliament, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, the US vice president, JD Vance, and the US special envoys, Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, before being forwarded to both governments for final approval.

The negotiations were reportedly facilitated by Pakistan-led mediation efforts led by Field Marshal Asim Munir, who held several meetings with senior Iranian officials in Tehran in recent days.

A regional official with direct knowledge of the discussions said the proposed deal could include an official declaration ending hostilities, along with a 30- to 60-day negotiation process covering Iran’s nuclear activities, sanctions relief and regional security guarantees.

Among the key issues under discussion are the future of Iran’s uranium enrichment program, the lifting of US sanctions on Tehran and guarantees on freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical oil transit routes.

During a visit to India on Saturday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed that progress had been made in the negotiations.

“Progress has been made and there may be more later today,” Rubio told reporters.

Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei described the emerging proposal as a “framework agreement” intended to first ensure an end to the war before the start of broader negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program.

“We want this to include the main issues necessary to end the imposed war and other issues of fundamental importance to us,” Baghaei said in comments reported by Iranian state media.

He added that sanctions relief remains a central demand of Tehran and confirmed that differences between the two sides have narrowed in recent days.

“Over the last week, the trend has been to narrow the differences,” he noted.



Post views:
267

Check Also

Coal City Blazers aim for victory against Kwara Falcons in Benin

Post views: 41 Coal City Blazers will return to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *